Every other month it feels like there is a brand new superhero movie that comes out and everybody goes to see it. However, it is not always the superhero that the people pay to see. I am one of the millions of people who truly loves a good villain. But I only like the bad guys in the movies, the villains currently in baseball right now are real, truly heinous, and bringing down America’s favorite pastime at an alarming rate. That being said, I give you my top 5 villains in baseball today:
5. Angel Hernandez, MLB Umpire – Now I know many of you may think C.B. Bucknor is worse, but he is simply just a terrible umpire. Hernandez is not only a lousy ump, but carries himself in the most villainous manner possible. The man once threw Chicago Bears great Steve McMichael out of a Cubs game because he commented on a bad call Hernandez made before singing the 7th inning stretch! When a player or coach goes out to argue with him after he has made yet another awful call, just look at his face and body language. It will make you even angrier than the call did. For more evidence regarding his villainous ways, just look him up its pretty entertaining and pathetic at the same time.
4. A.J. Pierzynski, Rangers – 29 MLB teams and their fans hate him each and every season. The only team that doesn’t hate him is the one he plays for. However that was not the case during his one season with the Giants. While in San Francisco during an exhibition game, he kneed a trainer where the sun doesn’t shine solely because the man asked how it felt after Pierzynski took a shot there himself. And how can we forget when former Cubs’ catcher Michael Barrett punched him for slapping the plate after scoring at home? While not a cheater like others to come on this list, he is still a grade-A jerk.
3. Ryan Braun, Brewers – The 2011 NL MVP probably deserves to be higher but he is more of a cowardly villain so he will stay here. Braun first garnered national intention in a negative way when he failed a drug test in December 2011, just weeks after winning MVP. This led to a 50 game suspension which he appealed and won due to a potential technicality. Then earlier this summer, he was found to be heavily in the Biogenesis scandal and received a 65 game suspension until the end of the 2013 season. He then finally admitted to using PED’s after lying to everyone for almost two years. Then just a week ago he made the most cowardly, worthless apology I have ever heard. It took him over a month to even make the apology! For these actions, he is quite the villain.
2. Bud Selig, MLB Commissioner – Yes, this man has done some good for baseball, but the bad outweighs the good by a landslide. Since becoming full-time commissioner since 1998, Selig has shown great bias towards the Milwaukee Brewers throughout the years, declared the 2002 MLB All Star Game a tie, and worst of all, been around throughout the entire Steroid Era. He has contradicted himself many times throughout the years regarding his knowledge of players taking steroids, and even if he somehow didn’t know this was going on he was way too slow in making the changes to stop PED usage. Regardless, his actions and lack of them in some instances during his time as MLB commissioner have allowed baseball to be tarnished in a way that the sport may never recover from. When a business starts to struggle, you always look at management from the top down, which is why Selig earns his place here. Thankfully, he will be retiring at the end of the 2014 season.
1. Alex Rodriguez, Yankees – Who else could you possibly put here? He is the most cancerous presence baseball has probably ever seen.The man has not only been caught cheating in baseball, but also on his former wife as well! Also known as “A-Fraud” and “A-Roid” he first admitted to taking steroids back in 2007 in reference to the years of 2001-2003, and then just earlier this summer he is suspended again for his involvement in the Biogenesis scandal. There is a reason he was handed suspension for a record 211 games and in my opinion, its not long enough. If the man above Rodriguez on this list has any interest in redeeming himself in some way, give A-Rod the dreaded and deserved lifetime ban.