Teams are coming up on the 30 game mark in the season and, typically, this is when players start to show numbers that reflect how the first half of their season is going to go. So we’re going to do a follow up of our apparently really popular Opening Day Notes post, which if you missed, you can find here —>http://baseballs28thout.mlblogs.com/2013/04/03/opening-day-notes/
- With the tragedy that took place at the Boston Marathon, people everywhere, particularly in Boston needed someone or something to turn to, baseball was that something. Read about it here —> http://baseballs28thout.mlblogs.com/2013/04/17/baseball-backs-boston/
- What in the world did Chris Davis eat. He has cooled off recently but goodnight talk about going from a nobody to a superstar overnight, Chris Davis launched himself into super-stardom. In case you missed a good read about his hot start, you can find that link right here –> http://baseballs28thout.mlblogs.com/2013/04/08/is-chris-davis-the-next-babe-ruth/
- All Star balloting has officially begun and votes are already pouring in, curious to see how we think the All Star game goes? Read about our prediction right here —>http://baseballs28thout.mlblogs.com/2013/03/30/all-star-game-victory-who-will-it-be-this-year/
- How about the Royals and the Rockies, they are both on top of their respective divisions. After looking through about 100 predictions from just about everywhere I think it’s pretty safe to say that nobody saw that coming.
- To go along with outstanding starts, tons of “baseball experts” are already changing their playoff predictions. We, however, understand how sample size works so we are sticking to our guns and not changing any picks. If you forgot our picks, take a look here —> AL http://baseballs28thout.mlblogs.com/2013/03/28/6/ —> NL http://baseballs28thout.mlblogs.com/2013/03/28/2013-national-league-predictions/ —>Playoffs http://baseballs28thout.mlblogs.com/2013/03/28/2013-mlb-playoff-predictions/
- In rather sad news, Danny Espinosa shaved his beard. Pretty bummed about that but with the Nationals somewhat struggling, the trim could help the team focus on winning games and not being caught up in everyone thinking they’re going to make the playoffs.
- And in even sadder news there are people saying Bryce Harper is a lock for MVP. Two things bad about that: First, he’s not leading in any offensive category. Second, sample size which you can read about here —>http://baseballs28thout.mlblogs.com/2013/04/18/statistics-sample-size/
- A lot of stadiums are down on attendance, Fenway even lost their sellout streak, don’t worry everyone, your favorite team isn’t all of a sudden unpopular (Unless you’re a fan of the Marlins). April and May always post low attendance numbers because family’s can’t come to games because of the kids’ school nights.
- Let’s end this on a great note. April 15th was Jackie Robinson Day and one of the coolest things I’ve ever seen in baseball happened that day. The Cincinnati Reds beat the Philadelphia Phillies 4-2, which as I type it out, 4-2 looks like 42, Jackie Robinson’s number. Anyway, in that game, the winning run, which was the 3rd run, was scored by Derrick Robinson wearing #42. So on Jackie Robinson Day the winning run was scored by a man with the last name of Robinson wearing #42.